Christ Episcopal Church
Christ Episcopal Church was constructed in 1841. It is believed that clay, from what is now a field at Robert E. Lee Elementary School was used for the bricks. The Church was consecrated that same year by the Right Reverend Bishop More.
Christ Church served as a hospital during the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse and still bears scars received from shelling during the battle.
After an Episcopal congregation in Mattaponi dissolved, the church's large lectern Bible (King James Version), dated 1754, was brought to Christ Church. It is now prominently displayed as a church treasure.
This little church is exceptionally well preserved and is a fine example of Virginia's late Federal period architecture.